Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fish Doing Much Better

Midway through the treatment the 3 Koi are doing much better. Their color is better and they seem to be making it through the ordeal. 3 more days at 86 degrees then I start working them down to pond temperature. My friend suggested I clean out the upper pond and prepare it for the 3 for the fall and winter. There they will be less stressed out and able to recover without being bothered by other fish.

This Sunday I plan to begin that task by draining the pond, cleaning out the muck on the bottom, cleaning out the filter, then fill it back up. I'll then "nuke" the bad stuff with potassium permanganate then clear it all with hydrogen peroxide. Another small water change and some salt and it will be ready for new residents. The upper pond still needs some work but it should be fine as is for a temporary shelter for these three.

No comments: