Thursday, September 23, 2010

Treatments Continue

The pond treatment is just about done. Last night I got the salt content to .56%. One last push tonight to get it to at least .6%. All of the Nishikigoi seem to be doing fine now and all will eat a little food. The filters are in need of backwashing but I must resist! No backwashing until this weekend to allow the Praziquantel sufficient time to do it's job. Forums say it's pretty much done after 4 days and others say to give it a week to be sure.

I think I am going to fabricate a vacuum out of PVC pipe and use a small mag drive pump to clear out crud that accumulates on the bottom. It wouldnt be for leaves or anything over about 1/4" in size but should help make quick work of sucking out the fish poop and uneaten food which is a major cause of bad bacteria in ponds and aquariums alike. I think I can fabricate something for maybe less than 10 bucks using an existing pump that would equal a commercial product selling for $300!

No comments: