Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Goshiki

This is a female Goshiki bred at Ogata Koi Farm in Japan. She is about 10-12" long and looks like it will become a very large fish. It's still pretty young (2 years?) and the "dirty" orange hi is normal for a young Goshiki. After 4 years old the orange will overtake the black and the result should be a vivid orange pattern on a fish net type background. The fishnet background is caused by the trailing edge of EVERY scale being black. As the fish ages more of the black edged scales will develop along the lower sides. Take a look at the Goshiki that won Grand Champion in my previous post about the 2010 ZNA Potomac Koi Show. That one is a mature Goshiki and is striking!


I like how the orange will wrap to the left and back to the right by the fins


Very nice three step pattern waiting to develope.



A closer look at the rear left side of the fish.


Here is my hand for size comparison. Maybe I should throw a ruler in next time.


No comments: